Landlord Gas Safety Certificate CP12 – Tenants rights, landlords obligations

By Katie Anderson on November 15th, 2010

Landlord Gas Safety Certificate CP12Back in 1996 the Government introduced legislation so that all landlords renting a property were legally bound to make sure any gas appliances and pipe work in their properties had to be checked every 12 months. Once the inspection had taken place a certificate would be issued. 

As part of the safety checks a Gas Safe registered technician will visit the property to carry out a series of checks on gas appliances. This includes checking for gas tightness, checking standing and working pressure (if test points are available) and checking the  burner pressure/gas rate against manufacturers data plate. The technician should also check for the provision of ventilation where necessary, test flue flow to make sure products of combustion have been removed, and check that all flame failure devices are operating satisfactory.

How to get a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate CP12

If appropriate, the visiting engineer will need to check stability brackets, to make sure they are physical stable and effective and investigate if there’s any evidence of unsafe operation and report their findings to a person of responsibility. Last but not least a tightness test of the full system will need to be carried out. Only then can the gas appliance or appliances be deemed as having been checked.

All gas appliances in rented properties must be checked annually by a Gas Safe Registered heating engineer. If you are a landlord and require a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate CP12, get a quote here at Builder Guide.

Fill out our quick three step form to request three free no obligation quotes from approved tradesmen today...

Keep me up to date with related offers and services. We will email you occasionally and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Need help? Call us on
0800 077 4590