Small electrical works - You still need a qualified electrician

By Katie Anderson on December 16th, 2010

Man carrying out Small Electrical Works - installing a wall socketIf you’re looking for small electrical jobs in your home to be fixed or installed you’ll need the services of an electrician.

Fixing, replacing or installing home appliances such as light fittings and wall sockets can be classified under small electrical works.

While some simple tasks can be carried out as a DIY job, most jobs involving electrics will require the skills of a professional electrician.

Electrical work has to adhere to IEE Wiring Regulations. The Government has placed strict limits on the type of electrical work you can do yourself before calling in an electrician. You can, for example, replace existing wall sockets, switches and ceiling roses. You can also add sockets, light points and fused spurs, as long as you’re not carrying out the work in a bathroom or a kitchen. And Wiring Regulations must be followed at all times.

Under Part P of the Building Regulations Electrical Safety rule – which has been in force since 2005 – anyone carrying out electrical work in a domestic dwelling must make sure it is designed and installed correctly to offer protection from fires and electric shocks.

Common electrical jobs that will require an electrician

While replacing a light fitting or adding an extra socket can be done by yourself (as long as it’s not in a bathroom or a kitchen), other common small electrical jobs will have to be carried out by a Part P competent person. They include:

  • Installing an electric oven and hob
  • Adding an outdoor socket

If you are looking for an electrician than Builder Guide can put you in touch with a local recommended electrician to carry out the work. Fill out a quote form today.

Fill out our quick three step form to request three free no obligation quotes from approved tradesmen today...

Keep me up to date with related offers and services. We will email you occasionally and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Need help? Call us on
0800 077 4590